AVENUES OF ROTARIAN SERVICE
The La Plata Rotary Club activities, programs and projects are based on the avenues of service exemplified by Rotary International.
Focuses on strengthening fellowship to ensure the effective functioning of the club:
- Our club meets every Wednesday morning at 7:30am at the La Plata Green Turtle where we eat breakfast and share local and individual happenings within the community. After breakfast, we enjoy individual highlights known as “Happy Bucks” followed by an informative meeting which includes an array of speakers from the community.
- Our club has monthly a "Happy Hour" to further Rotarian comradeship.
- Our club has monthly boards meetings and quarterly foundation meetings.
- Each Rotarian is making quarterly contributions toward obtaining a "Paul Harris".
Encourages that we serve others through our vocations and practice high ethical standards.
The projects and activities that our club embarks upon help to improve life in Charles County and other local, national and international communities. Our oldest community service activity is our Scholarship Program which gives funds to our local high school students. This program has been continuous since it was first created 36 years ago with the scholarship funds growing every single year to reach the current $15,000. Some of our other community service projects of 2011 include:
La Plata Rotary Club recognizes some of Charles County's best and brightest high school seniors with scholarships to colleges and universities across the nation.
The Annual Dictionary Project
- Donation to the "Wine Divas" Golf Tournament
- Donations to the College of Southern Maryland Athletic Fund
New Generations Service
Includes our club fostering the positive change of youth and young adults through leadership development activities. In 2011-2012, the La Plata Rotary Club is sponsoring four high school students to attend RYLA and 2-4 students to attend Girls State / Boys State.
Rotary International, 2011